Sandstone and Stained Glass: Some snippets of church history that didnÕt make the 2005 anniversary pamphlet.
The first rectory was acquired in 1866. Subsequently a barn and a portion of the land were sold to finance the remodeling of the house. In 1904 the old manse, which was located on the other side of the street, was sold and the present rectory was purchased.
New YearÕs Eve is a terrible time to have a fire. It happened that in the very early hours of 1881 St. LukeÕs bell, which at the time served as the village fire alarm, clanged out the bad news. The Granger Mill on Clinton Street was ablaze. Not surprisingly, many of the firemen never heard the alarm. The fire damage was extensive.
Charles T. Seibt served as rector of St. LukeÕs from 1872 to 1891. His was the longest tenure. Until now.
In 1881 the Ladies Aid Society was organized. Then, as in 1826 and 2005, dedicated women played a vital role in the life of the church.
Major building and furnishing improvements were made in the years 1882-1884. An extension was constructed and the sanctuary, chancel, choir area, Seymour altar, litany desk and stained glass windows added.
On April 7th and 8th in 1891, a festival was held at St. LukeÕs. A souvenier booklet by Mary Jane Holmes was distributed by the Church Guild. The occasion netted the grand total of almost 150 dollars.
In early days of the church money was raised through pew rents. An envelope system was attempted in 1890 but apparently the change was not a success. By 1894 parishioners were again renting pews for ten to thirty dollars a year. The rectorÕs salary at that time was eighteen hundred dollars a year. The sexton and organist were each paid one thousand dollars.
Early in the 20th century, there were two womenÕs groups at St. LukeÕs. However, during World War I, the ladies of high social status decided that the girls who worked in the factories would be happier in a group of their own so MarthaÕs ministry was formed. This action was called Ōgetting the crockery away from the china.Õ WeÕve come a long way.
The Reverend Alexander Keedwell, a high churchman, (1929-1931) instructed the faithful in the stations of the cross. The first real struggle between high and low church began when Rev. Danrosch put up the first sanctuary lamp.
The front door was painted red in 1956 following a pattern set by many Anglican churches.