St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Brockport NY
St. Luke's was organized as a parish in 1838, after earlier home gatherings by Phoebe M. Brockway and other Episcopal women.
The Church was constructed of Medina sandstone in 1854-55 at a cost of $6,000.
The first church bell was installed in 1863, and the bell also served as the village fire alarm.
The Parish House, was constructed in 1903, was also used as a community
theatre, gym, library, health clinic and meeting space. At one time,
even had a bowling alley and a dumb waiter!
The church features mid-19th century Gothic Revival architecture. Style
markers include steep, vaulted roofs and bell towers reaching towards
elaborate, exposed wooden framing timbers; pointed arched windows and
doorways; beautiful colored stained-glass windows; and an east (altar)
west (main doors) orientation.
Stained Glass Windows:
Tiffany’s earlier studies in landscape painting are very evident in the
paneled Tiffany window above the western, Main Street entrance.
Once unacceptable in church settings, the beautiful landscape in glass is particularly beautiful late in the day
when the setting sun backlights the sunset colors in the upper portion
of the window. It was named, “Peace, Perfect Peace” by the bishop
who dedicated it in 1914.
An earlier window was removed to accommodate Tiffany’s paneled “The Nativity” on the eastern, altar side of the sanctuary.
Parts of the earlier window are now in the Memorial Hallway and narthex. Dedicated on Christmas Eve, 1917.
This window was donated by Sara
Morgan Manning in memory of her 22 year old son who; per church records,
died two years earlier of tuberculosis.
Of particular note are the central Madonna and child, use of light, plants, angels, and symbolic lilies.
In the 1950s, this window was photographed by the Kodak Co. for display in NYC’s Grand Central Station.
The third Tiffany is found on the south wall. It depicts an empty
cross with angels, one of whom is holding palm branches, a symbol of
If the lighting cooperates, Tiffany’s technique of glass layering can be barely seen on close examination of this window.
Undated, it is signed in the lower corner by Louis C. Tiffany who died
in 1933. A 1946 dedication, not integral to the glass, has been
added to the inside surface.
The pews, are original but have been painted and cushioned but
otherwise, they remain little changed from those used by the Victorian
faithful, of the 19th century.
Renovations were completed in 1999
Included an altar facing the congregation, altar rails, and a credence table.
Local artisan John Deats carved these pieces from a black walnut tree
donated by parishioners Fletcher and Alice Garlock,
after a fierce
Labor Day storm felled a tree planted years earlier by Glifford Morgan.